Monday, December 22, 2014

Daddy and Gifts

Daddy is very practical and, being as such, it is difficult to find him a present.. One year, for Christmas or his birthday (can't remember which), I bought him a new stereo for his work vehicle. It had a CD player and built in satellite radio--you know, for those areas (in the middle of nowhere) where he can't get sports radio. He ended up returning it because he has a radio that works perfectly fine and doesn't mind silence in those dead areas. Sigh. Don't know what I was thinking... :)

However, our first Christmas together, thirteen years ago, was one of the few times I got it right. It was close to Christmas and my mom wanted to give Daddy his gift, so I decided to go ahead and give him mine as well. It was a new fishing rod and reel--a nice one, he loved it, still has it. *grins* It gets better. He was going to wait until Christmas to give me mine ('cause he is one of those that can wait), but after I gave him is gift he tells me to hold on and runs out side. He comes back in and, low and behold, he had a fishing pole! For me! Lol. So crazy!! We are so meant for each other.

Anyway, this year I could only think of one thing I could get him, that wasn't socks, but still practical. I didn't want him to know I bought him anything at all (because he told me not to buy him anything), so I went out with the kids, bought the item, and put it in the trunk of my car, thinking I could bring it in the next day while he was at work. Totally thought I had this in the bag and was feeling pretty darn awesome!

Turns out he wanted to run to the grocery store to pick up some stuff and he was taking the car. Of course he would put his bought items in the trunk, 'cause that's what we do. I started to freak out a bit, however, while he was in the bedroom I scurried outside, grabbed the gift, ran back in and stuffed it inside the closet by the front door that holds all our coats (it's winter, btw). Seriously, why can't I think these things through?! I was trying keep my breathing normal and thought I was in the clear, when he reached for the closet...

Dum, dum, dummm.

I ran over, grabbed the door knob just before he was able to, and asked him what he was doing. I'm smooth like that. He looked at me like I was crazy and answered, "I'm getting my coat," with an implied duh. I told him that I would get it for him and gave the excuse, "I need to clean the closet." It was the first thing that popped in my head! LOL. 

Needless to say, he knows about the gift, but at least he doesn't know what it is! 

4 comments:

  1. LOL.......you sound so much like me. Hope He loves it!
    hugs abby

    ReplyDelete
  2. LoL Misty, at least he doesn't know what it is. Hiding gifts can be a real mission sometimes :)

    Hugs
    Roz

    ReplyDelete
  3. P's gift spent a week in the trunk of my car because I couldn't think where to put it indoors! Hiding stuff from the kuds us getting harder too.
    hugs DF

    ReplyDelete
  4. Haha! Something I so would do. Hope He loves it.

    ReplyDelete

I like views, but I love comments, so... say something, would ya'?