Wednesday, December 10, 2014

It's a Cookie (and Granola) Kind of Day

This is so exciting! Today is The Great Online Cookie Exchange Extravaganza! I was totally going to tell all of you it was coming -in case you didn't already know- so you could participate if you wanted, but I failed to do so, obviously...sorry about that!

Jz is the one who puts this awesome event on the calendar, so big thanks goes out to her! Hope all of you take the time to stop by her place.

I do have one bit of advice, which I learned from my first TGOCEE last year, if you're hungry it's a good idea to go eat something, then read everyone's posts. Trust me. In fact, even if you're not hungry, it may be a good idea to have a bag of carrots or something of the like close by, just in case.

Let's get to it, shall we?

Granola. It's a wonderful thing. Eat it for a snack, as cereal, with yogurt, on top of ice cream, on top of oatmeal, give it as a gift--really, what could you not do with granola? Okay, maybe there's a lot of things you can't do with granola, but it's so easy to make!

I don't know about you but, I'm all about easy these days.


Nutty Honey Granola

2 cups  old fashioned oats
1/2 cup chopped pecans
1/2 cup chopped almonds
1/2 cup sunflower seeds
1/3 cup olive oil
1/3 cup honey
1 tea salt
1/4 tea   cinnamon
Pinch     nutmeg
1/2 tea-1 tea vanilla (I just poor some in)
1/2 cup dried blueberries

Note: I would like you to think of this recipe as more of a guideline because there's just so many different wonderful ingredients you could use. For example, when I say to use honey, it's perfectly okay to use maple syrup instead, or you could use chocolate instead of dried blueberries (heck, you could use chocolate and blueberries for that matter). Also use any nut/seed combination that you'd like, so long as it totals 1 1/2 cups.

Preheat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit

Mix together everything, except the dried blueberries, in a large bowl. Spread out on a baking sheet and place in the oven. It normally takes around 15 minutes, but this is one of those things that the nose just knows. When you have a wonderful nutty and faint cinnamon smell extruding from your oven, it's ready.

Note: I have actually let it go longer than what my nose told me to do...it turned out awful. Don't let that happen to you. 

Mix in the dried blueberries. At this point you can do one of two things: 1. let it cool as is, 2. spread it back out on the baking sheet, pat it down a bit with a spatula, and cool. I always do the latter because I like my granola clumpy and I've somehow got it in my head that that's the only way it will clump together--it might clump together the other way, *shrugs shoulders* who knows.

Store in a sealed container.

I hope you all have a great time at The Great Online Cookie Exchange Extravaganza this year! You can find past entries by clicking here, and below is a list of participants this year.

25 comments:

  1. Love homemade granola...I will look forward to trying this recipe. Thanks for sharing! :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Terps, so much better than the store bought kind, huh? Hope you enjoy it!

      Delete
  2. This one is very close to what I use as well! But I use wheat germ in mine also. :) xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oooo, wheat germ, I'll have to try that! Thanks, brat!

      Delete
  3. Ooh Misty...I love homemade granola and this recipe looks great! Not really a big fan of pecans in granola...do you think walnuts would work well? Thanks so much for sharing.

    Blessings...
    Cat

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cat, walnuts would be perfect in this. Cashews, peanuts, pine nuts, soy nuts, really anything that tickles your fancy would work. :)

      Thanks for stopping by!!

      Delete
  4. I love homemade granola and love the sound of your recipe. Thank you.

    Love,
    Ronnie
    xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ronnie, it's a good one. Well, I think it is anyway :)

      Thanks for stopping by!

      Delete
  5. OH, yum!! i do love granola, and this sounds super delicious - and i think i could do it! Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sofia, it really is easy, and well, this batch didn't even last a week over here...

      Thank you!

      Delete
  6. yummy Misty love granola...am gonna give this a try...thanks...:-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. blossom, hope you like it.

      Thanks for stopping by!

      Delete
  7. This recipe sounds fantastic. Yep totally making it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. mouse, it's worth trying.

      Thanks for stopping by!

      Delete
  8. I keep thinking I'm going to make granola and I never do.
    This one may have swung the balance.
    Looks great!

    Thanks for playing along!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jz, it's such a great snack, totally worth your time.

      Thank you for hosting!

      Delete
  9. Just YYYUUUUMMM! I've been thinking about learning how to make granola. Now I can do it! Thanks for sharing. Many hugs,

    <3 Katie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Katie, oh it's so easy, and so good. :)

      Thanks for stopping by!

      Delete
  10. Love granola - I often keep a baggie of it in the car to munch on while I'm driving. Thank you for sharing! :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Christina, my best friend is in the car a lot and you just gave me the idea to make some for her, thanks! And thanks for stopping by!

      Delete
  11. This sounds great Misty! Thank you :)

    Hugs
    Roz

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Roz, we love it over here! Thanks :)

      Delete
  12. MMMMMMmmmmm, this sounds so good. My daughter and I have been looking for a good recipe and this one sounds just about perfect

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Blondie, it's a keeper! Well, for us it is anyway. Hope you and your daughter enjoy it!

      Thanks for stopping by!

      Delete

I like views, but I love comments, so... say something, would ya'?