Wednesday, July 15, 2015

Submissive I Am

I'm definitely on the submissive side outside of our relationship.

I am not management, nor have I ever wanted to be anything of the sort. This used to bother me because I thought everyone should want to move up in rank, however it doesn't get to me now. Not to toot my own horn but, I'm a damn good employee. I loathe making mistakes, mostly because I see how it effects other people. I'm honest and follow the rules because when I don't it eats at me, for ages, and I hate it. I expect to be an asset--to perform at a certain level and improve the business.

Of course, there are exceptions to my greatness in the work place. ;) I can't have too much freedom. For a short while I worked as a sales rep. (it was something my employer wanted me to try out, and it got me out of the office for a couple hours a day), which I was allowed to go wherever I wanted and I didn't have a quota, basically they didn't have any expectations for me...so, yeah, that didn't turn out very well. Lol. Not only that but, I'm just not good at sales.

The other exception...my employer must (this is a very firm and bold "must") appreciate and respect their employees. I don't work for people that don't see the value in each employee...or at least pretend to see their value. My first few jobs were in the restaurant industry--I was a waitress and bar tender. I ended up with a job working in a hotel bar (a world wide hotel chain that you've most definitely heard of), the owner the hotels came in for (what looked like a) business lunch with one other person...he tipped his waitress (not me) $2. He is a billionaire that tipped his employee two freaking dollars. I don't care how long he sat there, or how little he ate, or if he got rich by being conservative with his money, he should have given her more. I would have given him the money back. I was gone within the next two weeks. On the other side of that, I worked for a small restaurant chain that put great care into their employees...I served the owner and, what I believed to be, his family dinner one Sunday night, he tipped me $100, wrote me a letter telling me just how much he appreciated my service, gave me a job in his bar (which included a very nice pay increase), and made sure my managers knew how happy he was with my service (and how unhappy he was with the rest of his restaurant). You can bet your ass I worked hard for them...there was no way I was going to disappoint them after that!

I say all this about employment because the same holds true outside of it. I don't want to be in control (but that's not to say I couldn't do it, because I could, if someone expected it of me). I don't want to be in front, I get more joy from being in the background--I guess you could say that it warms my soul. I thrive when I know what is expected of me--it's a great comfort to be directed and know what is expected of me. I like knowing ways I can help. I set out to make people happy and improve life. I will go above and beyond for people, as long as they value and respect me.

There are other particular things that show how I'm submissive, but there are exceptions to them, and exceptions to those exceptions, and who has time for all of that? :)

10 comments:

  1. Funny I was just telling Daddy last night about how my work is leaving my little submissive self feeling lost and out of control. I came from a company with a procedure for everything to one that thinks customer service will get in the way of profit so there virtually is none. I am on the front line and I literally am taking fire all day long. I can barely get thru a shift without a headache or tears. Its really hard on the submissive natured to be out of control and my workplace is a mess. I need structure as in tell me when where and how and I will get it done. This whatever who cares attitude really leaves me lost.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Baby Girl, customer service is a big one for me, too...I guess it's more about treating people right, that I care about.

      Delete
  2. Hi Misty, I agree about having to have an employer who values and backs their staff. I too thrive when I know what is expected of me and also tend to panic If it is left to me to make final decisions. I don't like being in that position.

    Hugs
    Roz

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Roz, I know a lot of people can look past how they are treated when they get their paycheck, but I'm not one of them. Lol. Life is too short to waste my time working for people like that.

      Delete
  3. Hi Misty, such an interesting perspective. It's funny because I used to work for employers that expected me to hit the ground running, be self motivated and need little direction. However the catch was that these employers would hire me for my brain and then get mad when I used it. In other words, as long as I did as I was told and not question with my intelligence/brain I was good. I guess that's why today I thoroughly enjoy being self-employed where my Type A personality can thrive :-) and be submissive with partner. Hugs, K

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. K, Kudos to you, for going out on your own! We have our own business, but there's no way I could do it without him.

      I can't help but wonder...do you find it hard getting into the submissive mindset, or is it something you just kinda fall into? Also, (I'm not sure if this is appropriate to ask, but I'm just so curious!!) have you ever thought about topping?

      Delete
  4. This was interesting, i do enjoy reading about how others adapt in their mindset, especially out in the vanilla world lol

    I am not submissive, or rather those that know me would probably never use that word to describe, i lean towards being assertive and being in control...but yet with him its completely different.

    ReplyDelete
  5. tori, I like reading these types of posts, as well...it's a bigger peek into people lives. It was also interesting to write about it.

    Thanks for the idea!

    ReplyDelete
  6. "my employer must (this is a very firm and bold "must") appreciate and respect their employees"

    You can say that again! And I have to say, current experience is making me believe that being management sucks! Nothing quite as fun as being told to make decisions or asked for advice and getting ignored the whole time...There's always that one asshole further up the chain who does not appreciate and respect their employees. I'm probably projecting my week at this point...

    Why is it that the people with the most money tend to be the cheapest? Love the guy who gave you the $100 tip. I'd have worked my ass off for him too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. lil, that kinda sounds like being a mom--being told to make decisions and asked for advice, all the while being ignored. Lol!

      It was super nice of him! I was having a bad night, but it turned real good, real fast.

      Delete

I like views, but I love comments, so... say something, would ya'?