Wednesday, December 9, 2015

Oh Yes, it's Going to be Good

I've been waiting an entire year and it's finally here, a time of blogger comradery by way of food...

The Great Online Cookie Exchange!

A huge thank you to Jz for hosting. Please, stop by her place to check out her recipe and give thanks, as this stuff takes time to put together (and she has to put up with people saying they will join, then saying they won't, only to find yet another email saying they're back in). Also, if you don't already follow her blog, I highly suggest you do, because she's awesome.

Just like the past two years, I've decided to veer you away from cookies. Not to minimize the importance of cookies and desserts by any means (I sure do love all things chocolate), it's just that I like to be different. You know, offer a little variety.

I have to admit, this was my first time making cranberry jalapeño salsa, however I have eaten it many times (it's my mom's recipe) so I already knew it was awesome.

I did not make it because I wanted to eat it. It is just really important that you have a picture.

It's good with pretzels, by the way.

And tortilla chips.

And chicken.

And turkey.

And if you feel like having a spoonful just because it's that good, I won't hold it against you.

Ahem. Anyway...

Cranberry Jalapeño Salsa

1 - 12oz bag of fresh cranberries
1 - bunch of green onions
1 - bunch of cilantro
2 or 3 - jalapeño peppers, seeded
Juice from one lime
Juice from one orange
3/4 Cup - Sugar
1 Tablespoon - olive oil

Chop the cranberries, onions, cilantro, and jalapeño peppers. Place them in a bowl with the rest of the ingredients and mix. You can eat it right away, but I highly recommend letting the salsa sit overnight.

Words of advice:
1. Do not try to chop the cranberries with a knife (but if you want to, go for it). My mom uses a food processor, I used a manual food chopper like this one.
2. If you are not big on sugar, I think 1/2 a cup would suffice.
3. This is a mild salsa, if you want it to be hot, leave some of the jalapeño seeds.
4. Adding a bit of orange and/or lime zest might be something to think about. (Kicking myself for not trying it out)

That's it. So easy. And so good!

Now, I know you are all itching to move on the to next recipe so here's the list. Have fun!

26 comments:

  1. this sounds really good...have never tried cranberry salsa before...may have to give a go.. :-) thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Terps, I was reluctant the first time my mom made it (I'm not big on cranberries), but I think it's pretty obvious how I feel about it. :)

      Delete
  2. Salsa and chips are a big favorite with the grands and adults around here..now I have a new one to surprise them with..thanks!!
    hugs abby

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. abby, same here, salsa is such an easy go to snack. I hope you enjoy it!

      Delete
  3. Never tried Cranberry salsa but will have to try it. Bet is does taste lovely with Chicken. Thanks for sharing Misty.

    Love,
    Ronnie
    xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ronnie, it is wonderful with chicken.

      Delete
  4. how different...sounds very tasty...must try it out...smiles

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. blossom, it is full of flavor, a little goes a long way. Hope you like it. :)

      Delete
  5. Replies
    1. Bleu, I'm not a big fan of cranberries but I really enjoy this.

      Delete
  6. It's SOOO true that it's necessary to make the recipes to get a photo!
    The things we do for our art... ;-p

    This looks terrific and I love when you guys mix things up!
    Thanks for playing along. :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jz, gotta do what ya' gotta do. ;)

      Thank you for making it happen! Already looking forward to next year!

      Delete
  7. Wow Misty...salsa and chips have always been a staple with my crew...will definitely have to give this recipe a try. Thanks for sharing.

    Hugs and blessings...Cat

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cat, it is different, a bit sweet compared to the average tomato salsa, but I really enjoy it!

      Delete
  8. I am trying this. I have a new attachment for my Kitchen Aide. It will chop all this for me! Yum!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Minelle, lucky!! I bet it will be a cinch with that. I love my Kitchen Aide, but I went to turn it on yesterday and it wouldn't work...weird! Anyway, hope you like it. :)

      Delete
  9. Salsa sounds so good thanks Misty, will give this one a go. Never made salsa before.
    Hugs Lindy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. lindy, salsa is a must in our house, but I usually only make a tomato salsa (Mexican style). This is a nice change though! :)

      Delete
  10. This sounds interesting, and delish Misty. Thank you for sharing :)

    Hugs
    Roz

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Roz, interesting is a great way to describe it! It is great for the holidays and even a festive color :)

      Delete
  11. Thanks for widening our horizons. And I think you're right about adding some orange zest to it.

    Nice one!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Tom, right! I think it would be a nice addition. Wish I would've thought about it sooner.

      Thanks for stopping by!

      Delete
  12. Nash and I love salsa and this is something different. It's only a question of when we'll try this, not if! Thanks for sharing! :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hiya Misty! This is a brand new idea! I am drooling at the taste, and it's so festive looking. Thanks for doing something different.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. sassy, it definitely has a festive look, which makes it so perfect for this time of year...not to mention how yummy it is. :)

      Delete

I like views, but I love comments, so... say something, would ya'?