Friday, May 13, 2016

Turning Mistakes into Stepping Stones

Every so often he'll ask me to do something around the house. Usually, when something has gotten out of control and it has stayed that way for quite sometime.

What can I say, I'm not perfect.

Last time, he told me to make sure the kids' room got cleaned, in other words all I needed to do was make sure they cleaned it. 

Sigh

One thing led to another and...it didn't get done.

Surprisingly, that wasn't the worst part.
The worst part was that the importance of getting it done didn't sink in until I was tied up with my ass in the air and the crop was in his hand. 

He brought it up before we were at that point, and...I just...kinda...blew it off.

Yeah, I know. *head desk*

Anyway...

Why was it important? Because he asked. 
The girls could care less what it looks like and, obviously, it wasn't at the top of my list, but it was important enough to him that he told me to get it done.

What needs to happen? I need to get stuff (like this) done before he asks. 

That's what I want to be. 

And maybe, just maybe, my down time doesn't mean as much as it used to. Maybe my time is more of a luxury and less of a necessity...



12 comments:

  1. I had never seen that poster before, but i love it. And yes....seems like your time has become somewhat of a luxury...nice tho, in a way.
    hugs abby

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. abby, a few years ago I heard the quote, except it was something like "Use your mistakes as stepping stones so that you may rise above them". It's a great perspective, don't you think?

      It is nice, I think. :)

      Delete
  2. Hi Misty, what a great message, I love this. Yep, if he asks it's important :)

    Hugs
    Roz

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Roz, why did that not hit me sooner?! Ugh. Next time, next time I will not make the same mistake.

      Delete
  3. I don't know if you need to jump THAT far ahead just yet! I would definitely say that because it is important to him, it is important to you. That mindset goes a long way. Preemptive? Meh..LOL

    I'm kidding, sort of. I appreciate my free time, and let's face it I have lots as our kids are older. There has to be a balance though when your kids are young. Might be that your husband wanted them to clean their room more than just having the room cleaned. I know that is what happens here.

    Either way I like the saying. I am always saying stumbling blocks to building blocks ( just not for walls lol)
    willie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. willie, oh I didn't say it wasn't a necessity, just less of a necessity. Lol!

      I think he wanted the room cleaned because he was tired of stepping on things when he went in there. I still have to help them, but they do quite a bit. And boy do I need free time! I have free time. Looking back over the day, I could've used my time more wisely, so to me that makes me feel that down time isn't as important as it used to be.

      Stumbling blocks to building blocks...I like that.

      Delete
  4. I could be a better time manager too. I think it's a learned skill and hope you get better at it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Leigh, for some people it seems like it comes naturally, but maybe that's just how I see. I hope I get better too.

      Delete
  5. For me if my Sir asks me to do something for example just the other day he asked me to move my clothes from the bathroom! If it doesn't get done and he doesn't reprimand me for it it won't sink in. But if he disciplines me then next time he asks I will do it or try avoid having clothes on the bathroom floor. I'm sure it will sink in :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Daisy, I am so glad it's not just me! And, yeah, the next time, I will be sure to do it and do it well. Lol. Hopefully, I can just stay on top of it and avoid it all together. :)

      Delete
  6. Great reminder for me, I have been slacking a little lately with finals but they are all over. So thanks for the reminder to make sure that "one little" chore gets done.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Blondie, if you have finals I wouldn't call it slacking, school takes a lot out of you. But, since that's over, don't forget!!

      Delete

I like views, but I love comments, so... say something, would ya'?